dealing with mexico's tropical rains

dealing with mexico’s tropical rains

I can’t believe it’s been six weeks since we’ve chatted. The month of October showed up and all hell broke lose, it seems. Toward the end of September, I got the internal notion sealing my roof before the rains arrived should be on the seasonal agenda.

While it sounded good in theory, I was a little late in that September turned out to be a wet month, so any painting at this point would have to be timed. Carefully. However, before I had a chance to time any painting projects, a heavy bout of rain caused an old branch above my house to weaken and crack off at it’s base.

Being as the tree is nearly 20 years old, that branch was the size of a small tree trunk, and when it landed on my house, it sent me on a “what the hell” search.

It was so high up on the very top that took two days to find. That was, after it stopped raining. The trunk-branch, which technically came from my neighbor’s tree, broke off directly above my house and landed sideways across the housing for my rooftop water tank.

Cutting and removing the wet, thick 4-meter long piece of tree was how I spent my last weekend in September. It was after that I was able to finally plan an impermeable paint project in between rains, but first, we needed to dry out.

Relying heavily on our local forecast, I picked a four-day period he said we would not get rain. I ran out, bought more supplies than I’d likely have needed (just to be safe since time truly was of the essence here) while waiting for my roof to dry thoroughly.

Painting like a madwoman, I managed to get two coats on and dried — according to the instructions which asked for a four-hour dry time — just before the rains started again. True story! I finished my last second coat in the dark at 7:00 p.m. and at bedtime around 11:00 that night, it rained…and it rained, and it rained.

I couldn’t help but sneak upstairs to see how my “in the nick of time” impermeable paint job was holding up. I mean it was barely dry before Mother Nature put it to use. We were deluged for three days before she finally stopped and I could do a proper inspection. Several pooling areas bubbled a bit and peeled, so they were re-done, but all-in-all I called it a success.

Tending to tropical tasks was how I spent the entire month of October, preparing for what has become our rainy season. Traditionally it was the summer months of May to August, but over the years, the Fall and into December have proven to be our soggiest times.

So much so that, again, relying heavily on the weatherman, it wasn’t until the first week of November that we were able to head out for another camping trip. The rains were frequent and heavy and prohibited all general “being outside” activities, so the week before, I spray-waterproofed the crap out of my 14-foot tent…floor to fly…and was I glad I did.

The call for rain was in the forecast during the week I’d picked, but much milder (less than 60% except for one day), so we went for the week and got soaked the one day he called for rain. While we were snug and dry inside our heavily waterproofed tent, the world outside was hit hard with a tropical deluge that seems to have become the norm this time of year.

Here comes our forcasted camping rain storm

We packed up pretty wet the next day and drove home to spread everything out to dry before it was perma-packed until the next trip (whenever that will be). Two days after getting back, the rains started again and lasted for a week.

It rained so hard that the air was white and the sound, deafening. The sound of that heavy, torrential rain slamming down on thousands of large tropical leaves all at once is truly deafening, not to mention a little intimidating.

There was water. Everywhere. So much water, even the trees were flashing white flags of truce with their yellowing water-stressed leaves and exposed roots. After that, we had another dry out session that left many of us doing damage control, again, searching for branches that may break (over the house and car), as well as leaks, peeling paint and mold.

OMG the mold! It was growing everywhere. On my lamp shades, on the back of my kitchen door, on suede jackets, on a set of wooden coat hooks…it was everywhere. With fans running and anti-humidity balls strategically placed (especially around electronics), we eventually dried out. Again.

All of us. The entire city. It’s been nearly two weeks now that we’ve been rainless, but those two weeks were spent preparing for the next rains that may or may not come.